While a good portion of the article focuses on stuff we've know about for quite some time, there's oodles worth of new info in terms of the game's controls, missions, and plot. Article summary below, and an in-depth look available at The Mega Man Network:
- Legends 3's controls have been designed to accommodate the Nintendo 3DS button interface. Movement is mapped to the Circle Pad while shooting is carried out with the R shoulder button. When playing as Barret, melee attacks are executable with the A button, while Y dashes/wall climbs. Camera controls were not disclosed.
- Legends 3 producer Tatsuya Kitabayashi assures fans Mega Man Volnutt will playable alongside Barret in the final game. Confirming original speculations, Volnutt is, indeed, on the moon throughout the course of Legends 3: Prototype Version. The presence of Barret will "introduce newcomers to the series through a pair of fresh eyes." Barret's interaction with old Legends characters, such as Tron and Roll, might key-in series newcomers on the events that preceded (i.e Legends 1 and 2).
- The titles of Barret's equipment shown off in video demonstrations have been disclosed: Volcanic Leggings (allows players to dish out a flying flame kick), and the Burst Spreader.
- Missions encompassing Prototype Version include rescuing civilians from Reaverbots, street racing other Bright Bat members, escorting Aero to locations across Teomo City, retrieving Servbots on your hoverbike, and fighting Bullbreath, the rival gang leader.
- There's an interesting twist in the conflict between the Bright Bats and the local police. Turns out the police chief is none other than Aero's father, a key member of the Bright Bat gang. The chief, in an effort to take down the gang, enlists the help of Roll to build him the “Anti-Rider Crusader,” or the “ARC1." Following that event, players participate in an on-rails shooting segment. The goal is to defeat the Anti-Rider Crusader (piloted by Roll) while avoiding a barrage of tossed cars.
- Exploring Ruins plays a big role in Prototype Version. Later in the game, possibly after reconciling with each other, Roll tasks Barret to retrieve underground Refractors, which will power her rocket to rescue Mega Man. Barret runs into Tron during his dig, and faces her in her new Devroom-winning mecha.
- The Ruins also houses an item integral to Legends 3's plot known as the “Klicke Lafonica," or the “fire of all creation.”
- In another twist, Barrel, grandfather to Roll and Mega Man, has gone missing.
- In closing, Kitabayashi went on to emphasis that Prototype Version is more than a paid demo: "It features quite a few original missions as well as a lot of content that won’t be in the main game,” he continues, “and I can guarantee its value well exceeds its price. You can download the game for approximately the price of one smartphone app, so I hope that even those with concerns download it and give it a try.”
Nintendo Power subscribers should expect this issue to arrive in mailboxes shortly. The article contains a vast amount of screenshots and artwork. No scans at the moment, so do pick it up if you've got the chance!
Credit: The Mega Man Network: