If you grew up during Mega Man's PlayStation era, you've no doubt had Ruth Marie Jarman's voice forever etched into your brain. She's the actor behind Mega Man 8's Mega Man (and Clown Man) and X in Mega Man X4! And if you ever wanted to know more about what went on during those famous recording sessions, Ruth sat down with Ramblin' Reploids to spill the beans!
Throughout the above hour-long interview, Ruth shares a tremendous amount of interesting information and behind-the-scenes facts we've never heard before! So, really, check this out when you can. She's so nice! And if you're in a pinch, though, I've included some interesting bits after the break!
- Ruth believes that the "-Man" in "Rockman" or "Mega Man" was not meant to outright place an emphasis on masculinity. As Ruth explains, in Japan, when people talk about an important "key person" in a conversation, they will say "key-man". For example, if you're a salesman in Japan, you're called "eigyo-man". Ruth firmly believes that when "they thought of the name Mega Man (Rockman) in Japan, they were not going to target it at boys. 'Mega Man' is kind of like 'Mega Person' that we can ALL relate to."
- "Yell as if you're falling... and keep yelling until you stop!" Can you guess what scene Ruth's talking about? Yup; THAT one. Ruth said she screamed multiple times for multiple takes. They were saying to her, "don't make it sound like he's suffering and in pain - make it sound like he's trying to fight back, not trying to give in." She recorded six or seven different versions of that scene! She attributes her scream to "the lungs of a cheerleader."
- Mega Man 8 and X4 were recorded in the same session and Ruth didn't know her session was for two separate games. For X, Ruth believes that they altered her voice somewhat to sound a little older the Mega Man.
- Ruth addresses the famous Dr. Light flub! Revo asked Ruth if the voice actor for Dr. Light meant to say "Rockman" instead of "Mega Man", hence the flub. Ruth says, "I remember very clearly that we were told it's Rockman. I remember later on realizing that Rockman was called Mega Man in the U.S." Ruth then recalls that she may have done versions of the script where she (and other actors) say "Rockman" and "Mega Man". So that little flub, where it sounds like Dr. Light's voice actor is correcting himself, could very well be because of that!
- When recording Mega Man 8, Ruth distinctly remembers that the script did not spell Bass' name phonetically; she didn't know nor was she directed to pronounce it as "base". Nobody corrected her during the session and, until this very interview, she had NO IDEA it was supposed to be "Bass"! So yeah; watch this interview if you want to hear Ruth correctly say Bass' name!
- What does X say when he uses "Twin Shot" in X4? Ruth says it's definitely "feel it!" After all these years, mystery solved! Ruth said she remembers being very careful doing certain lines, trying to not make some sound too "sensual". Again, she wasn't provided much, if any context during her session so she wanted to be super careful with phrases like "feel it!"