After a successful fundraising campaign in September, our resident engineer, Tofu, set off on a mission to France to extract and preserve Rockman EXE: Battle Chip Stadium from a collector. I am pleased to report that not only was Battle Chip Stadium successfully ripped, but we've managed to secure the data from Rockman EXE: The Medal Operation!
Read on for some important key points!
- Both Battle Chip Stadium and The Medal Operation rely on their specific hardware for gameplay. Battle Chip Stadium uses real-world Battle Chips, while Medal Operation uses tokens or medals. Further, Medal Operation is heavily reliant on physical switches and levers to function. As a result, entirely new add-ons/plugins are required to emulate both games in MAME.
- Once Tofu returns from France, development on these add-ons will kick off. Additionally, the ROMs will require some fixes as they currently do not support sound when booted in MAME. This limitation stems from their use of "Medallusion" hardware, which MAME currently does not support.
- It's crucial to note that although the games have been successfully dumped AND boot in MAME, they are not playable in their current state. Rest assured, the dumps WILL be publicly distributed once the add-ons are ready. This will take some time.
- The Battle Chip Stadium dump is based on Version 3, the final iteration before the game was discontinued and phased out of Japanese arcades in 2009. This version includes all Net Navis from V1 and V2, and new additions like Beast Out Forte and Dark Blues. Additionally, an advertisement for the then-upcoming Ryuusei no Rockman 1, exclusive to V3, is included.
- Demi joined Tofu in France, filming the trip and extraction process. Once he's back home, Demi will edit and share the video to his YouTube channel.