Just in case you've been living under a rock these past few days, the new 3.0 update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has gone live! Among the many updates, 3.0 brings the option to purchase and play as Joker from Persona 5, as well as a whole host of new modes, features & balance changes. Our very own Blue Bomber has undergone quite a few tweaks, too. Read up on it after the break!
Firstly Joker was added to the roster – he's a pretty good character from what I've played so far but he is tiny compared to some characters! I will say, though, Mega Man using Super Arm on him looks... strange, to say the least!
Balance patches were also implemented for existing characters. Unfortunately, Nintendo's patch notes aren't exactly thorough. Lucky for us, however, ReVerb and several other Discord members from the Mega Man Smash Discord have compiled all of the changes made to our favorite blue robot. Most of them seem to be nerfs but there's still more balance patches to come in the future! Here's what we got:
(note: refer to the SmashWiki for any abbreviations you don't know!)
- Usmash Kills ~4% earlier.
- Pellets and Metal Blade do less shield damage.
- Leaf Shield initial hitbox activated 2 frames later. (Frame 7 - > Frame 9)
- Leaf Shield toss end lag increased by 2 frames.
- Holding position of Mega Man with Metal Blade in hand slightly shifted. Blades drop closer to Mega Man's body (Slightly less range on Z-Drop OOS) but Z-Drop Aerial re-catches with forward momentum are easier now.
- Leaf Shield no longer cancels with item toss forward. Item pickup and up smash toss still cancels though.
- Metal Blade hits seem harder to fully auto parry. May affect Up Air and Crash Bomber too.
- Parrying projectiles in general has 3 frames less end lag than before.
- Can no longer shield Z to grab items during jumpsquat with Leaf Shield.
- Down air and forward smash shield damage and stun unchanged.
Beyond Mega Man's balance change, Ultimate itself saw a few additions. Most noteworthy is the return of Stage Creator, were you can create your own stages by drawing on the Switch's touchscreen or using the tools provided in the mode. These can then be shared online with other users and can also be queued to download to your console through the Nintendo Switch smartphone app. As you'd expect users in the community have already started to create and share some Mega Man-inspired stages so we thought we'd share some of the ones we've seen & tried out. You can use the ID Code to download the stages below & try them out for yourself!
E-Tank and Roll Hands Stages
Creator - FuPoo
Gamma Stage (with moving arms!)
Creator - Jeffrey Barr
Mega Man 2 Intro Screen and Mega Man X5 Intro Boss stage
Creator - Storm;Owl Elite
ID - 6T94J62F
ID - RGJMSD5C
Snake Man Stage, Mega Mech Shark and Mega Man X5 Sigma final battle
Creator - Megacocorock
Mega Man X Highway Intro Stage
Creator - Klim
Mega Man X5 Intro Stage Boss
Creator - Guille19
ID - 05CW5HFR
Mega Man Zero Stage
Creator - Scarvii
Mega Man Legends Flutter Stage
Creator - Unknown found by OptimusGinrai
You can also create and share your own Mii Fighters online now too! Here are a couple of Sigma Mii Fighters created by Megacocorock:
Speaking of Mii Fighters, more costumes were added to the game as a download pack from both Persona & Sonic the Hedgehog (Tails & Knuckles suits). With this being Pack 1 of costume, I'm hoping Nintendo will add the Mega Man ones back in from Super Smash Bros For WiiU/3DS! No news on that front yet.
Have you made any cool Mega Man stages or Mega Man Mii Fighters? Share your stage and character ID's in the comments below! We'll be happy to check 'em out!